Diamonds at the DIA
Spring has been quite feisty this year. Although I think we're rounding the corner into some warmer weather, I still haven't committed to packing away my sweaters and boots quite yet. I still have some transition pieces laying around, so for this post I put together a casual look for a crisp date night or girls day. And what better place to sport this look than the DIA? The marbled backdrops of the exterior are great for snapping photos, and don't even get me started on the interior! They've had some amazing exhibits come through their hallowed halls, including a Diego Rivera and Frida Khalo display that was my all-time favorite.
Tips for Visiting:
- Residents of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb county get in free - just be sure to bring your ID!
- Fridays they're open until 10 pm, so if you're looking for a fun date night excursion, look no further.
- Parking can be tricky, so think about parking downtown or along Woodward, and take the Q-Line up to the museum.
- Research which rotating exhibits are currently on display. They swap them somewhat frequently, so be sure to get tickets to the ones that pique your interest before they're gone!
- Diego Rivera's "Detroit Industry" murals. These are, in a word, breathtaking. If you are able to take a tour, the guides do a nice job explaining all of the detail. Take 10 minutes and observe the different areas of the paintings. The hidden gems and messages you'll find are remarkable.
- The Contemporary Art Wing. Spend time admiring the abstract and minimalist paintings, and be sure to find the Andy Warhol print too!
- The Egyptian Art Exhibit. If you're fascinated by hieroglyphics and mummified remains, this is the exhibit for you. Those who love attention to detail will love this stop in the museum.
And let's just address the star of the show - this jacket! A moto jacket can truly become your signature statement for spring. Layer with jeans and a tee or edge up a summery dress that's a bit too thin to be worn alone yet. The key to finding the perfect jacket is fit and flare. Ensure the fit will allow you to layer a somewhat bulky sweater, but isn't too roomy that it will look sloppy or baggy when worn with a tank dress. Then, look for flare details that will make you stand out! This one is obviously makes its' presence known with the sleeve beading and diamond detailing. Other more subtle options could be a tab collar and belt detail, or really unique seaming or embroidery. This is an area of your closet where a splurge is worth it, so treat yourself to a jacket you'll have for seasons to come!
BlankNYC Embellished Sleeve Moto Jacket - [Nordstrom, sold out] Similar Here || Medium Wash Distressed Jeans - [Target] || Grey Crop Sweater - [Express] Similar Here || House of Harlow Double Triangle Earrings - [Rocksbox] || Holographic Crossbody Bag - [Coach] || Double Buckle Black Ankle Boots - [Steve Madden, sold out] Similar Here